Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
jobs
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:48 pm   

[1.29] Cmud stops responding

I have a problem with Cmud where it stops responding whenever I choose the 'Close session' under the FILE menu. It does the same whenever I quit from a game and click the 'Close' button to return to the Sessions screen. These freezes happens everytime.

It sometimes stop responding once I start the program and it is trying to launch my Sessions Window.

In both situations I have to kill the Cmud session and restart it.

I am running a Windows Vista Ultimate.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:04 pm   

I've noticed that since 1.29 CMUD's been loading an awful lot slower, but I just assumed it was something I did and forgot about. The waits between the splash screen and the main CMUD window appearing and then between the window appearing and the Sessions window appearing are now much longer. I guess it depends on how fast your computer is - it could be that CMUD really is doing something, but Windows becomes impatient and labels it as unresponsive. Have you tried just leaving it to see if it'll ever come out of the hung state?
jobs
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:47 pm   

Fang Xianfu wrote:
I've noticed that since 1.29 CMUD's been loading an awful lot slower, but I just assumed it was something I did and forgot about. The waits between the splash screen and the main CMUD window appearing and then between the window appearing and the Sessions window appearing are now much longer. I guess it depends on how fast your computer is - it could be that CMUD really is doing something, but Windows becomes impatient and labels it as unresponsive. Have you tried just leaving it to see if it'll ever come out of the hung state?

Yes, I left the computer running with that session for 10 minutes, trying to figure out whether it was doing what you ask about and it never did come out of it's comatose state.

I did not notice any fluctuations in CPU usage either, so it isn't trying to force anything through either.

Seems everytime I quit out of a MUD, I have to forcibly shut down Cmud and rerun it, if I want to load another character/game session.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:54 pm   

Older versions didn't really remove settings from memory properly when you closed a session. So the new version is much more susceptible to problems with your settings. Email your package file that you are having problems with to sales@zuggsoft.com along with a note mentioning this problem so that I can look into it.

It looks like one of the optimizations was turned off in the 1.29 release, which might explain the slower startup. Although I haven't seen any huge speed differences on my system here.
jobs
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:42 pm   

Zugg wrote:
Older versions didn't really remove settings from memory properly when you closed a session. So the new version is much more susceptible to problems with your settings. Email your package file that you are having problems with to sales@zuggsoft.com along with a note mentioning this problem so that I can look into it.

It looks like one of the optimizations was turned off in the 1.29 release, which might explain the slower startup. Although I haven't seen any huge speed differences on my system here.

Dumb question, but what package file is it you want me to mail you?

Another observation I made on these freezes...

First time I run Cmud it freezes when trying to load the Session window. I then forcibly shut it down and it always loads on the 2nd time I run Cmud.

Same deal if I play, quit out with my character, I then I have to quit out of Cmud instead of closing the window in order for it not to freeze. If I then reload Cmud to play again, it will freeze on the first time when it tries to load the Session window.

Anyway, let me know what that package file is and I'll mail it to you asap :)
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:15 pm   

Run CMUD and click the Edit Session action for your session. Go to the Package Files tab. In the Filename field it will show you the name of the file to send. The Path label below it shows the full path that the file is located in.

If CMUD is freezing when it tries to load the Session window, then something is corrupted in your installation. Sounds like you need to try installing CMUD to a different directory and see if it works from there.
jobs
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:40 pm   

Zugg wrote:
Run CMUD and click the Edit Session action for your session. Go to the Package Files tab. In the Filename field it will show you the name of the file to send. The Path label below it shows the full path that the file is located in.

If CMUD is freezing when it tries to load the Session window, then something is corrupted in your installation. Sounds like you need to try installing CMUD to a different directory and see if it works from there.

Mail has been sent :)

I will try reinstalling it as well and let you know if the problem still exists.
jobs
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:52 pm   

A reinstallation did indeed solve my problem with the client freezing, except during startup of Cmud.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:52 am   

So you are saying that it still freezes at startup? That's still a problem. Are you sure you deleted all of the CMUD files when you reinstalled? You need to delete files in both the C:/Program Files/CMUD directory, as well as the My Documents/My Games/CMUD directory. It sounds like maybe your default.pkg file is corrupted. Or maybe it's some weird Vista issue...not a lot of experience with all of Vista's problems yet.

Have you tried right-clicking and selecting "Run as Admin" to see if that helps with anything?
jobs
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:32 am   

Zugg wrote:
So you are saying that it still freezes at startup? That's still a problem. Are you sure you deleted all of the CMUD files when you reinstalled? You need to delete files in both the C:/Program Files/CMUD directory, as well as the My Documents/My Games/CMUD directory. It sounds like maybe your default.pkg file is corrupted. Or maybe it's some weird Vista issue...not a lot of experience with all of Vista's problems yet.

Have you tried right-clicking and selecting "Run as Admin" to see if that helps with anything?

Yes, I did remove all files tied to Cmud upon uninstalling it.

I did run it as Admin last a few times without any issues and ran it 15 times again this morning as Admin, again without issues. So it only seems to be a problem when running it without the admin privileges.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:58 pm   

OK, sounds like there is something specific to your Vista setup then. Probably something regarding permissions. Hopefully the Vista stuff will get better when I have gotten more experience with Vista myself. I know that there is an OLE Registry issue for some users (especially people who installed a Beta version of Vista).

So, for now just run CMUD as Admin. I think you can even right-click and go to Properties and set it up so that it always runs as Admin. You can also try clicking the option to run in WinXP compatibility mode (this seems to help people with the OLE error). That will at least let you continue to use it until some of these Vista issues are sorted out (either by myself, or by Microsoft ;)
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:33 pm   

I wouldn't worry about issues with the Vista beta or CTP builds. Microsoft fixed most of those by the official release. There are still compatibility issues, especially with Vista Business and Vista Ultimate because of their increased security measures, so we look forward to your support. (I have no OS compatibility problems so far running CMUD as administrator on Vista Home Premium.)
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:26 pm   

Of course, the whole idea of CMUD with Vista support is so you won't need to run CMUD as Admin. That's what I need to work on. There are still some people from the Vista beta who ran into problems with an OLE error even in the official releases. But that's usually because they just did a Vista upgrade instead of a clean install. I've seen very few issues with clean installs of Vista. It's the upgrades that tend to leave bad stuff behind in the registry, and many people choose an upgrade to retain all of their installed apps (from either XP or from a Vista beta install).

I've also seen some OLE errors when people have installed some other 3rd party software on their machines...presumably XP versions that screw up the registry or install older DLLs. I've seen the OLE error myself on occasion, which gives me hope that it's something I can eventually fix. My best guess is that it's related to loading the DirectX 9 libraries that CMUD still uses. I need to fix CMUD so that it detects the OS version and loads DirectX 10 libraries if you are on Vista.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: