Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Grae
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:25 am   

CMUD not starting up

Downloaded 3.34 and installed, every time I try to run it I hear an error "ding" and nothing runs.

I have uninstalled/removed program files/my games files and reinstalled twice, redownloaded, rebooted etc...

Not seeing any error message just hearing a 'ding' then nothing...

Win xp pro system.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:06 pm   

If you do not even see the splash screen for CMUD then some software running on your system is interfering with the copy protection and preventing it from running. Check to make sure your anti-virus is up-to-date. Also make sure the you have the Windows DEP stuff disabled for CMUD. I know some people have trouble with Kaparsky anti-virus (or whatever it's called). I have used Avast and AVG without trouble.
Fizban1216
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:47 pm   

Avast's suite causes issues with CMUD, or at least did the last time I had it installed. (ie. not just the avast antivirus, but the more expensive security suite they sell)
Grae
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:57 pm   

No anti-virus, firewall. I am going to try to remove HP Protect tools, it seems the only likely cause to this.

Wish there was a log of some sort..
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:26 pm   

Unfortunately at the point you are at CMUD isn't even running so there is no way for me to log anything. The CMUD.EXE file is encrypted and when you run it a loader routine is supposed to execute and decrypt it before Windows sees it. But if your anti-virus or security software doesn't like the loader and stops it from running, then Windows just sees a garbage EXE file in memory and doesn't know what to do with it.

I tried to choose the most popular and least intrusive copy protection system available (Armadillo), but some anti-virus programs just seem to not care about stuff like this and want to lock down any attempts for a program to modify itself.

Quote:
No anti-virus

Eeck! Really? Not a good idea these days. At least get something like Free AVG. It's free, has free updates and works pretty well. Maybe HP Protect does some of this...never heard of that actually. But nobody connecting to the Internet should run without anti-virus.
Grae
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:38 pm   

Oh I meant that during my trouble shooting I uninstall anti-virus etc, I wanted to see what the problem was before reloading.

Got fed up though, so just finished reload and all works fine, I suspect it really was HP Protect that was blocking it.
Fizban1216
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:13 pm   

Zugg wrote:
Eeck! Really? Not a good idea these days. At least get something like Free AVG. It's free, has free updates and works pretty well.

I'd go for Avast Free over AVG Free if solely looking at free options. Not that AVG is 'bad', but Avast has boot-time scans, whereas the last time I used AVG it did not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: