Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Orchid
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:05 am   

database engine problems

ok it says it has problems initializing and I don't have the needed system files to run the software, that I was able to sucessfully download. I downloaded the Jet and MDAC and still see the same message. Any ideas as to what ther deal is and how to fix it??
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:48 am   

Try a reboot. Some versions of Windows require this, but the installer doesn't force one.
Orchid
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:18 am   

any other suggestions? I have tried that... also could you tell me if the database engine is a problem with my system or did I get a corrupted dl or what? I dled the mdac and jet packs too, but that was what the site said the problem is, but it didn't clear up.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:04 am   

Only other thing I can think of is that something is wrong with the eLicense system. Without more specific information I don't think I can help you.

A few questions that would be helpful to have the answers to. Some might not be helpful with this problem, but I don't feel like guessing anymore today.

What version of Windows are you using? If your using 2k or XP did you install from a user with administrator priveledges? What is the exact error message? Does it mention any specific files? Does the the zMud logo display when launched, what does it stop at?
Orchid
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:16 pm   

I am using windows XP, (home) It should be admistrator, because I am the only one who uses this computer. The message is called error intializing database engine. Then in the gray area, it says your computer doesn't have the needed system files to run this software. Under that it says to update your computer with the needed files and then gives the link. two buttons at the bottom, are exit, and go to website. When you click the link, it says how zmud used MDAC and that is the problem... if you scroll down it talks about Jet packs. I downloaded the needed things. If I move that error window, the zmud one is there, but it won't finish, due to the error message. In the name it has database engine... then intializing. That is where it stops. I have downloaded it fine, it is just that it won't open.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:11 pm   

You may want to search Microsoft's site for the latest updates. I think Zugg hasn't updated the page mentioned with all the latest data. My tests show the most current updates to Jet and MDAC for XP to be stable and perfectly functional.
Orchid
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:12 am   

Heheh that is another problem. The last critical update will not install either. It tells me my computer isn't compatible with the Sp1 I guess. Either way it doesn't dl, but yet says it did it successfully. ( I know it didn't because it will still be listed as needing to be dled.) Thanks for getting back to me,

Orchid
Orchid
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:05 pm   

actually it will dl.. just when it goes to install, is says my computer isn't compatable.
CheetahsSpot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:23 am   

I am having the same problem. I moved from the UK to the states and therefore to a new computer(A Gateway running Windows XP Home with Norton Internet Security *tho that doesn't seem to be the problem this time*)(previous computer was running xp pro with norton IS). I just tried to put Zmud on this computer and am unable to for the same reason. I get message titled

Error inializing database engine

Along with the message about missing system files. I have gone to the web-page and followed the instructions. They were to make sure XP is updated, install Mdac (I used the newest version from XP after the old one did not change anything) then install jet (also a new version from xp. This time the old one did not install)

I have rebooted my computer between each install and it still does not work. Do you have any other suggestions.
CheetahsSpot

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:16 am   

I figured out how my computer specifically wasn't loading the MDAC. I found that when I had turned all my antivirus software off, that the upload of new information worked fine for MDAC upload 2.8 This has allowed zmud to work correctly. I had only turned off the download function before without realising that the norton antivirus was not allowing some of the new info on the my computer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: