Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
blade
Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 10:17 am   

trigger not firing all the time in 6.62

I have a trigger, it has always fired for versions 6.16, 6.38, 6.39, and 6.40. But it is not firing all the time in version 6.62. Is anyone else having a similiar problem ?
If so how did you solve it? I am at a loss since it fires most the time just not all the time. If this tid bit may help I made the trigger with 6.16. Anyway if I would have thought about it i would have included log output but I forgot save it when it happened.
I can tell you that also the trigger did not fire and then approximately 30 lines later it fired fine...and 20 lines later it fired fine again...but again a few lines more it failed again. When I reviewed my log the pattern was the same in each instance when it fired and when it did not and it was at the start of a line each time and only on one line each time. It is the only trigger that i know of that is not firing all the time as well which makes it even more strange...should I delete it and make it again in 6.62 ?
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 2:40 pm   

Do you really expect an answer? You've given nothing to base an answer on. Nonetheless, I've done my best.

"Is anyone else having a similiar problem ?"
I don't know. You've been extremely obscure about what the problem is.

"If so how did you solve it?"
The usual method would be to examine the trigger to make sure it has a properly formatted Pattern which matches the desired MUD text, a properly formatted Value with legitimate commands for the MUD or zMUD, and the correct choice of Options. If those all seem to be good, some people will add a #SAY command so they can verify when the trigger fires. It might also help to check the Version History (on the Zuggsoft site) for changes which might affect your trigger.

"should I delete it and make it again in 6.62 ?"
No. You should find out what's wrong with it and fix the problem. Remaking an identical trigger, with the identical problem, will likely provide the identical result.

LightBulb
Advanced Member
blade
Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 6:10 am   

okay here is everything (not sure if it will help, i have no output as of yet, but will try to get some)

the trigger pattern is as follows:

^Hmmmm. Why must everything be so difficult to figure out?

the value is as follows:

#temp {You aren't such a complete idiot anymore.} {stupidbalance=0}
#if @plantbalance=1 {dum}

dum is an alias, it does the following:
outr goldenseal
eat goldenseal
eat goldenseal
eat goldenseal
eat goldenseal
eat goldenseal
eat goldenseal
eat goldenseal
eat goldenseal
eat goldenseal
eat goldenseal

the options for the trigger are :
trigger on trigger
trigger on prompt
trigger on newline

@plantbalance is set to 1 by several triggers they work fine
@plantbalance is set to 0 by several triggers they work fine as well

I know this since I have several other triggers that have:
#if @plantbalance=1 {something else} in them, and they work fine

the the same trigger to set @plantbalance 1 and 0 for some of the ones that do work fine
is the same trigger that this one uses

@stupidbalance serves no purpose at the moment. It is just there for when I get around to finishing my healing/affliction reflex system for achaea.

I am at a loss, ideally if this one does not work several others should not be as well, yet they are.
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 2:52 pm   

Try disabling the Trigger on Prompt option for this trigger - you don't need it. Next, like LightBulb said, add a #SAY with some message to the commands of your trigger and check to see if the message comes up everytime the pattern is sent by the MUD. If the message is not displayed in some particular occasion, take a good look at the line that should have trigger it and compare it with the pattern of the trigger and other lines that did fire the trigger. Try to find anything different.

Kjata
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 2:57 pm   

You may also want to check the MUD output that you expect your trigger to fire on. I have seen a variable number of m's in the Hmmm part of the stupidity message. I suggest counting them to see if you have the same number in your trigger.
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 4:50 pm   

Would the times when it doesn't work happen to be when you have @plantbalance = 0?

LightBulb
Advanced Member
blade
Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 6:47 am   

Well I tried to get some log output...but trigger worked perfectly. Freaky. Yes I thought about the plantbalance variable...but like I said other triggers that require the same variable were working fine during the same time. When I checked my buffer I looked for that...as well as the m part. Thanks for the suggestions/ideas.
Sanquash

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 8:40 pm   

I have seen a few triggers not function properly until I closed zMud and restarted. However, I haven't posted anything because it is way to vauge. ;)
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 11:20 pm   

There's a reason I asked about @plantbalance. Your trigger is set up so it will ONLY work when @plantbalance = 1. Therefore, if the times when it doesn't seem to work happen to be when @plantbalance = 0, that's exactly what's expected.

You've already admitted that you have no idea why it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Don't ignore people who do have ideas.

LightBulb
Advanced Member
blade
Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 7:40 am   

Lightbulb was not ignoring your suggestion. Was something I considered when it was not functioning properly. Which is why I looked for the text to reset it to 1 when I looked through my buffer, like an idiot I did not save the buffer when it happened. I have tried twice to get log output to confirm your thought on the matter. But as I said before it has been working fine now for some reason. If somehow I have suggested that I was not open to suggestions or ideas, I apologize. Thanks for all the replies and suggestions
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: