 |
Anaristos Sorcerer
Joined: 17 Jul 2007 Posts: 821 Location: California
|
Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:08 pm
[309B] Problem with secondary windows and status bar. |
If a status bar is added to a secondary window, horizontal scrolling is forced on the window. That means that word wrapping is effectively disabled. Windows with no status bars wrap normally. There shouldn't be a connection between the status display and the contents of the window. Note that scrolling is force even is there isn't an actual status being displayed. All one needs to do is check the status box in the window setting for enable this behavior. Also, unchecking the box in the settings does not remove the scrollbar (restores word wrap). The main window does not exhibit this behavior.
|
|
_________________ Sic itur ad astra. |
|
|
 |
Zugg MASTER

Joined: 25 Sep 2000 Posts: 23379 Location: Colorado, USA
|
Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:12 am |
That has always been the case. The horizontal scrollbar is part of the status bar. If you move the mouse just to the left of the horizontal scroll bar until the mouse cursor changes into a resize cursor, you can click and drag the scrollbar to resize it to zero so that you don't see it anymore.
This is done to maximize the vertical space available for your MUD session, rather than having the status bar and horizontal scrollbar on separate lines.
This *IS* true in the main window too. The main window and the secondary windows use exactly the same code...there is no difference. |
|
|
|
 |
Anaristos Sorcerer
Joined: 17 Jul 2007 Posts: 821 Location: California
|
Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:13 am |
I understand the use, however, my problem is that world wrap is being disabled. So I am forced to make a choice between having status displayed or keep scrolling back and forth to read the entire text on the window, especially when the status being displayed does not consume the entire horizontal space available. Also, if the status line is removed, the scroll bars remain so there is no way to ever get word wrap back, except by deleting and re-creating the window.
EDIT: While it is true that the horizontal scrollbar also appears on the main window when a status line is present, the difference is that word wrap to the main window is not impaired. |
|
_________________ Sic itur ad astra.
Last edited by Anaristos on Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total |
|
|
 |
charneus Wizard

Joined: 19 Jun 2005 Posts: 1876 Location: California
|
Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:22 am |
Anaristos: I wonder if this is related to the crash dump I submitted on my post (about Access Violations). Word wrap effectively became disabled (though the status bar had nothing really to do with it, as it wrapped fine in my child windows without status bars).
Ultimately, because word wrap stopped working, I had to shut down CMUD and restart it. Currently, because of the crash affecting my daily play, I had to revert back to 3.08 and hope Zugg is able to figure it out for the 3.10 release.
Charneus |
|
|
|
 |
Zugg MASTER

Joined: 25 Sep 2000 Posts: 23379 Location: Colorado, USA
|
Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:57 pm |
Please post a procedure for reproducing the problem with word-wrap getting disabled. I have not been able to reproduce any problem with that in 3.09.
| Quote: |
| Currently, because of the crash affecting my daily play, I had to revert back to 3.08 |
Keep in mind that the purpose of Beta Testing is to try and help track down problems and not necessarily to use it for "daily play". Without beta testing help to track down these problems, they are not going to somehow magically get fixed in v3.10. Unless they have already been reported and confirmed with a message saying I've added it to the bug list. |
|
|
|
 |
Anaristos Sorcerer
Joined: 17 Jul 2007 Posts: 821 Location: California
|
Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:22 pm |
I don't know of an "offline" procedure to reproduce this problem. However, this is how I determined that having a status line (and the corresponding horizontal scrollbar) disables word wrap. The secondary windows get their text from captures. Without the status bar (and scrollbar), text captured wraps normally when the line length exceeds the window width. With the status bar (and scrollbar) text does not wrap. One is forced to use the horizontal scrollbar to read the entire line.
On the surface this makes sense since the presence of the scrollbar indicates that there is no need for word wrapping. So the issue is not that the scrollbars (which I don't want) are disabling word wrap, is that with scrollbars there is no "need" for word wrap so it is effectively disabled. However this only happens with secondary windows. The main window (which also has a status bar and, therefore, a scrollbar) doesn't exhibit this behavior. Word wrap works for the main window.
I've tested this by simply having a secondary window with a status bar and one without. I send a very long line of text to both, the one without the status bar (and scrollbar) wraps, the one with the status bar doesn't. Further, since the line is also echoed to the main window (because it echoes everything coming from the command line), one can see that it is appropriately wrapped.
Since, as you pointed out, the behavior for all windows, main or otherwise, should be the same, then there must be a bug since the secondary windows are "mis-behaving". |
|
_________________ Sic itur ad astra. |
|
|
 |
charneus Wizard

Joined: 19 Jun 2005 Posts: 1876 Location: California
|
Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:14 am |
| Zugg wrote: |
Please post a procedure for reproducing the problem with word-wrap getting disabled. I have not been able to reproduce any problem with that in 3.09.
| Quote: |
| Currently, because of the crash affecting my daily play, I had to revert back to 3.08 |
Keep in mind that the purpose of Beta Testing is to try and help track down problems and not necessarily to use it for "daily play". Without beta testing help to track down these problems, they are not going to somehow magically get fixed in v3.10. Unless they have already been reported and confirmed with a message saying I've added it to the bug list. |
The word wrap getting disabled was pointed out in my post about Access Violations. Every time the AV happened, word wrap was disabled and I couldn't get it to work again.
Yeah, I know that beta is for testing and not really recommended for daily play, however, it's because of 'daily play' that I'm able to find the bugs I find. Most of the ones I've found have already been reported, so hopefully they'll get fixed. I'm hoping the crash dump I've given helps determine the problem, though. I know you want to get a public out as soon as possible. I've reinstalled it, but haven't been able to really reproduce anything yet. Since you do have my package, try playing around a bit on Aardwolf it, or just letting it run for a while. Not sure if it has anything to do with the mapper, but I do have the mapper open, status windows, and two child windows open. I'm sure that it'll eventually crash and you can have first-hand experience with it. (And yes, I know you don't have time to really fiddle around with individual packages, but I know that every time I've run it with that package, it crashed. *shrug*)
Charneus |
|
|
|
 |
Zugg MASTER

Joined: 25 Sep 2000 Posts: 23379 Location: Colorado, USA
|
Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:47 am |
Once you get an access violation, then memory is corrupted, so all sorts of things can go wrong at that point. You should normally use the Close Application button with an access violation unless you already know that the crash isn't going to effect anything. The definition of "access violation" is that the application just "accessed" memory that is no longer valid. If this was a "read" operation, then you are probably safe. If it was a "Write" operation, then all bets are off.
Now, in the testing of your access violations, I never got word wrap disabled here. But typically memory errors like this are very system dependent. But if you can find a crash that consistently turns off the word wrap, please post a link. You have many different posts with many different crashes, so I have no idea which one you are specifically referring to with the word wrap issue. |
|
|
|
 |
Anaristos Sorcerer
Joined: 17 Jul 2007 Posts: 821 Location: California
|
Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:03 am |
You must my reply, Zugg. I don't have any crashes, I just have word wrap disabled.
|
|
_________________ Sic itur ad astra. |
|
|
 |
|
|
|
|
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum
|
|